Monday, April 27, 2009

"Opening" Series...

I began this series of figurative vessels a few years ago, and just keep coming back to them. I love making them... even if I'm not sure I need another one in my life, there's something very special about the process of making them for me. The vessel-ness of these works holds a lot of importance for me. I imagine, during the process of creating them, I am able to inhabit their emptiness with what they mean to me... imagining my own body as a vessel, filled with all that I am, and all that I long to be.

Many of these pieces are smoked, using a large barrel filled with pine needles and various other combustibles. I teach this process in a few of my sculpture classes. These "Barrel Firings" are fun community events shared by students and residents at Asif Studios in the spring and fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment